From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:55:02
1 On 19/08/2013 22:32, joost@××××××××.org wrote:
2 >> X11, well that's another story and probably way off topic. It was
3 >> >designed for hardware and architectures that haven't existed for 20+
4 >> >years. Almost all factors that made X11 awesome in the 80s and 90s
5 >> >simply are not there anymore.
6 > X11 was still really awesome in 2002. When we used remote graphical logons to different machines.
7 > It also helped with performance of certain desktop applications. Running the application on a different machine (with better CPU) then the machine I was working at always made people wonder why the same application was performing so badly on theirs ;)
8 >
9 > But these days. Having fast reliable performance locally is better. With a decent RDP that can connect to an existing desktop without having to set it up as shared from the beginning is more useful. Any ideas on that?
12 Agreed. I've gotten so used to all that local *GL* goodness that running
13 almost any app (except maybe xterm) remotely is just so painful it makes
14 me cry...
15
16 I'm also lucky in that when I managed to foist all the oracle with java
17 installers off onto some other team of luckless suckers, I was left with
18 just the best remote interface ever - ssh and bash. So I can afford to
19 be smug :-)
20
21 I don't know how to make your RDP problem easier - I treat that the same
22 as allow/deny rules for ssh (or any other kind of access really) and
23 just accept that sometimes I need to ask first for something to be
24 allowed. again, I can afford to be smug here too as the only things I
25 need to RDP to are terminals set up for that very purpose and VirtualBox
26 VMs (that is one more check box at the create stage).
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com