From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 05:38:56
1 On Mon, August 19, 2013 22:51, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 19/08/2013 22:32, joost@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >>> X11, well that's another story and probably way off topic. It was
4 >>> >designed for hardware and architectures that haven't existed for 20+
5 >>> >years. Almost all factors that made X11 awesome in the 80s and 90s
6 >>> >simply are not there anymore.
7 >> X11 was still really awesome in 2002. When we used remote graphical
8 >> logons to different machines.
9 >> It also helped with performance of certain desktop applications. Running
10 >> the application on a different machine (with better CPU) then the
11 >> machine I was working at always made people wonder why the same
12 >> application was performing so badly on theirs ;)
13 >>
14 >> But these days. Having fast reliable performance locally is better. With
15 >> a decent RDP that can connect to an existing desktop without having to
16 >> set it up as shared from the beginning is more useful. Any ideas on
17 >> that?
18 >
19 > Agreed. I've gotten so used to all that local *GL* goodness that running
20 > almost any app (except maybe xterm) remotely is just so painful it makes
21 > me cry...
22
23 For remote access, I can live without all the special effects.
24
25 > I'm also lucky in that when I managed to foist all the oracle with java
26 > installers off onto some other team of luckless suckers, I was left with
27 > just the best remote interface ever - ssh and bash. So I can afford to
28 > be smug :-)
29
30 ssh -Y <host> works really well for those.
31 I always feel smug when others first need to figure out how to get a
32 remote-X connection to the server because they use MS Windows.
33 They often claim that a VNC-server is a valid pre-req...
34 Take it from me, that is NOT a requirement to install the software.
35
36 > I don't know how to make your RDP problem easier - I treat that the same
37 > as allow/deny rules for ssh (or any other kind of access really) and
38 > just accept that sometimes I need to ask first for something to be
39 > allowed. again, I can afford to be smug here too as the only things I
40 > need to RDP to are terminals set up for that very purpose and VirtualBox
41 > VMs (that is one more check box at the create stage).
42
43 For me the usage case is as follows:
44 1) I start to do something on my desktop at home
45 2) I go to the office or customer site
46 3) I need to continue/finish what I was doing (it's usually for a customer
47 in that case)
48 ...
49
50 At this point, I can't continue. Unless I remembered to run a VNC server
51 and used vnc to localhost for step 1.
52
53 With a MS Windows desktop, it is usually (sometimes I get a "clean"
54 desktop and still can't continue) possible.
55
56 One option would be to be able to redirect an application to a different
57 X-server and when that one dies/disconnects/... it will reconnect to the
58 initial (my desktop) one.
59 This is also not something I found yet either.
60 For these activities, all the latest *GL* goodies are not necessary and I
61 can easily live without them. Remote 3D gaming isn't something I want to
62 do.
65 Joost