From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 06:09:47
1 On 20/08/2013 07:38, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Mon, August 19, 2013 22:51, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 19/08/2013 22:32, joost@××××××××.org wrote:
4 >>>> X11, well that's another story and probably way off topic. It was
5 >>>>> designed for hardware and architectures that haven't existed for 20+
6 >>>>> years. Almost all factors that made X11 awesome in the 80s and 90s
7 >>>>> simply are not there anymore.
8 >>> X11 was still really awesome in 2002. When we used remote graphical
9 >>> logons to different machines.
10 >>> It also helped with performance of certain desktop applications. Running
11 >>> the application on a different machine (with better CPU) then the
12 >>> machine I was working at always made people wonder why the same
13 >>> application was performing so badly on theirs ;)
14 >>>
15 >>> But these days. Having fast reliable performance locally is better. With
16 >>> a decent RDP that can connect to an existing desktop without having to
17 >>> set it up as shared from the beginning is more useful. Any ideas on
18 >>> that?
19 >>
20 >> Agreed. I've gotten so used to all that local *GL* goodness that running
21 >> almost any app (except maybe xterm) remotely is just so painful it makes
22 >> me cry...
23 >
24 > For remote access, I can live without all the special effects.
25 >
26 >> I'm also lucky in that when I managed to foist all the oracle with java
27 >> installers off onto some other team of luckless suckers, I was left with
28 >> just the best remote interface ever - ssh and bash. So I can afford to
29 >> be smug :-)
30 >
31 > ssh -Y <host> works really well for those.
32 > I always feel smug when others first need to figure out how to get a
33 > remote-X connection to the server because they use MS Windows.
34 > They often claim that a VNC-server is a valid pre-req...
35 > Take it from me, that is NOT a requirement to install the software.
36 >
37 >> I don't know how to make your RDP problem easier - I treat that the same
38 >> as allow/deny rules for ssh (or any other kind of access really) and
39 >> just accept that sometimes I need to ask first for something to be
40 >> allowed. again, I can afford to be smug here too as the only things I
41 >> need to RDP to are terminals set up for that very purpose and VirtualBox
42 >> VMs (that is one more check box at the create stage).
43 >
44 > For me the usage case is as follows:
45 > 1) I start to do something on my desktop at home
46 > 2) I go to the office or customer site
47 > 3) I need to continue/finish what I was doing (it's usually for a customer
48 > in that case)
49 > ...
50 >
51 > At this point, I can't continue. Unless I remembered to run a VNC server
52 > and used vnc to localhost for step 1.
53 >
54 > With a MS Windows desktop, it is usually (sometimes I get a "clean"
55 > desktop and still can't continue) possible.
56 >
57 > One option would be to be able to redirect an application to a different
58 > X-server and when that one dies/disconnects/... it will reconnect to the
59 > initial (my desktop) one.
60 > This is also not something I found yet either.
61
62 I don't think you can do that, I've never seen a way to change DISPLAY
63 for an X-client on the fly.
64
65 What you are describing sounds a lot like screen for X11, no?
66 A thread last week was about remote desktop apps and what folks use. I
67 didn't pay much attention, but ISTR a mention in that thread of
68 something like that
71 > For these activities, all the latest *GL* goodies are not necessary and I
72 > can easily live without them. Remote 3D gaming isn't something I want to
73 > do.
74 >
75 > --
76 > Joost