From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 06:59:37
1 On Tue, August 20, 2013 08:06, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 20/08/2013 07:38, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On Mon, August 19, 2013 22:51, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 19/08/2013 22:32, joost@××××××××.org wrote:
5 >>>>> X11, well that's another story and probably way off topic. It was
6 >>>>>> designed for hardware and architectures that haven't existed for 20+
7 >>>>>> years. Almost all factors that made X11 awesome in the 80s and 90s
8 >>>>>> simply are not there anymore.
9 >>>> X11 was still really awesome in 2002. When we used remote graphical
10 >>>> logons to different machines.
11 >>>> It also helped with performance of certain desktop applications.
12 >>>> Running
13 >>>> the application on a different machine (with better CPU) then the
14 >>>> machine I was working at always made people wonder why the same
15 >>>> application was performing so badly on theirs ;)
16 >>>>
17 >>>> But these days. Having fast reliable performance locally is better.
18 >>>> With
19 >>>> a decent RDP that can connect to an existing desktop without having to
20 >>>> set it up as shared from the beginning is more useful. Any ideas on
21 >>>> that?
22 >>>
23 >>> Agreed. I've gotten so used to all that local *GL* goodness that
24 >>> running
25 >>> almost any app (except maybe xterm) remotely is just so painful it
26 >>> makes
27 >>> me cry...
28 >>
29 >> For remote access, I can live without all the special effects.
30 >>
31 >>> I'm also lucky in that when I managed to foist all the oracle with java
32 >>> installers off onto some other team of luckless suckers, I was left
33 >>> with
34 >>> just the best remote interface ever - ssh and bash. So I can afford to
35 >>> be smug :-)
36 >>
37 >> ssh -Y <host> works really well for those.
38 >> I always feel smug when others first need to figure out how to get a
39 >> remote-X connection to the server because they use MS Windows.
40 >> They often claim that a VNC-server is a valid pre-req...
41 >> Take it from me, that is NOT a requirement to install the software.
42 >>
43 >>> I don't know how to make your RDP problem easier - I treat that the
44 >>> same
45 >>> as allow/deny rules for ssh (or any other kind of access really) and
46 >>> just accept that sometimes I need to ask first for something to be
47 >>> allowed. again, I can afford to be smug here too as the only things I
48 >>> need to RDP to are terminals set up for that very purpose and
49 >>> VirtualBox
50 >>> VMs (that is one more check box at the create stage).
51 >>
52 >> For me the usage case is as follows:
53 >> 1) I start to do something on my desktop at home
54 >> 2) I go to the office or customer site
55 >> 3) I need to continue/finish what I was doing (it's usually for a
56 >> customer
57 >> in that case)
58 >> ...
59 >>
60 >> At this point, I can't continue. Unless I remembered to run a VNC server
61 >> and used vnc to localhost for step 1.
62 >>
63 >> With a MS Windows desktop, it is usually (sometimes I get a "clean"
64 >> desktop and still can't continue) possible.
65 >>
66 >> One option would be to be able to redirect an application to a different
67 >> X-server and when that one dies/disconnects/... it will reconnect to the
68 >> initial (my desktop) one.
69 >> This is also not something I found yet either.
70 >
71 > I don't think you can do that, I've never seen a way to change DISPLAY
72 > for an X-client on the fly.
73 >
74 > What you are describing sounds a lot like screen for X11, no?
75 > A thread last week was about remote desktop apps and what folks use. I
76 > didn't pay much attention, but ISTR a mention in that thread of
77 > something like that
78
79 Yes, saw it too.
80 Window Switch seems to be what I need, except it doesn't work well with
81 KDE-apps. (Guess which desktop I use...)
82
83 I will simply keep looking and remember to start VNC whenever it seems
84 likely I might need to continue at a later date.
87 Joost