From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 02:01:08
1 > >> If all you need to do is host git repositories, I suggest putting bare
2 > >> repos on a server somewhere and having everyone push/pull over SSH. You
3 > >> can use the bare-bones gitweb (comes with git in portage) to view the
4 > >> repos from a web browser. You'll need a separate bug tracking mechanism
5 > >> in that case.
6 > >
7 > > I haven't used git before at all. Is this pretty easy to set up?
10 > If your users all have SSH access to some server, you don't have to do
11 > anything at all. Git works by pushing and pulling from other
12 > repositories. Those repos may reside on a friend's machine, or a server
13 > somewhere; conceptually, it doesn't matter[1].
14 >
15 > So, for example, I have a git repo for my reapply_default_acl project in
16 > ~/src. I can clone this somewhere else by doing,
17 >
18 > $ mkdir -p tmp/acl
19 > $ cd tmp/acl/
20 > $ git clone ~/src/reapply_default_acl
21 > Cloning into 'reapply_default_acl'...
22 > done.
23 >
24 > that easy. To do it over SSH is identical. I can connect to my own
25 > machine via SSH for another example:
26 >
27 > $ rm -rf reapply_default_acl
28 > $ $ git clone ssh://mjo@localhost:443/~/src/reapply_default_acl
29 > Cloning into 'reapply_default_acl'...
30 > Password:
31 > remote: Counting objects: 102, done.
32 > remote: Compressing objects: 100% (85/85), done.
33 > remote: Total 102 (delta 34), reused 3 (delta 0)
34 > Receiving objects: 100% (102/102), 33.86 KiB, done.
35 > Resolving deltas: 100% (34/34), done.
36 >
37 > That's all that's involved. You give people "commit access" by allowing
38 > them to write to the directory.
41 > [1] This is a slight lie. If you're going to have a centralized repo
42 > that you only push to, you'll want to do two things. First, create the
43 > server repo with `git init --bare` so that you don't have an extra copy
44 > of checked-out files lying around. Second, go into the 'hooks' folder of
45 > the server repo and rename the post-update.sample file to post-update.
46
47 Thank you for taking the time to explain this. You just sextupled my git
48 knowledge. It does sound easy. Would a basic layout like this plus gitweb
49 plus fugitive/gitv yield a git setup that wouldn't feel lacking for
50 collaboration amongst a few people? It sounds like a bug tracker would be
51 a good addition.
52
53 - Grant