From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: epson printer
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:19:13
1 On 19/07/14 02:19, James wrote:
2 > Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
5 >> Hi, Ive just bought a new epson wf-3520 MFP and want to get it to print
6 >> through cups over wifi for preference.
7 >>
8 >> Question 1 - do you have to be on the (same) wireless network to print
9 >> if using wifi? (i.e., I have a complicated set of networks and want to
10 >> print via a LAN to the printer on a separate routed wifi network -
11 >> connectivity exists but I cant get it to talk to me.)
14 > Most modern printers have an embedded web server. You may be able to
15 > just type in the IP address into your web browser and establish a connection
16 > to the printer's internal web server. Give it a whirl...
19 >> Question 2 - what stanza do I use to connect?
20 >> (ipp://192.168.41.72:631/what?/, or is it http?) This information
21 >> doesn't seem to be available with ubuntu folks etc just saying "it
22 >> works" - I suspect cups browsing on the same network)
25 > if you have installed and configure cups, you should have this file:
26 > /etc/cupsd/printers.conf
27 >
28 > and an entry like so:
29 >
30 > DeviceURI socket://10.20.30.69
35 Thanks, now working. The socket interface works whereas my old printer
36 used usb - wireless seems SO much nicer, and I don't need to run raw
37 queues for windows and fragile bonjour services via cups anymore -
38 win-win :)
39
40 The web server is also a great idea - but the (lack of) documentation is
41 a problem when they don't tell you it exists!
42
43 BillK