From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to create my own linux distribution
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:06:17
1 2006/7/18, David Corbin <gentoo.org@××××××××××.com>:
2 >
3 > Not wanting to hijack the thread from the OP, but this subject interests
4 > me
5 > for the following reason. I work on a software system where one customer
6 > has
7 > about 10000 systems at about 500 locations. Remote systems are
8 > categorized
9 > as one of 3 types/configurations. Automated management of them is
10 > essential,
11 > including upgrades, but seldom upgrades "to the latest and greatest" as
12 > stability is very important. Upgrades need to "just work", and not
13 > require
14 > manual intervention. Currently, they're all on Windows in one form or
15 > another (ugh!). The systems in question have very limited capabilities,
16 > and
17 > the people on site have very limited permissions.
18 >
19 > Other potential customers have similar size systems, and I certainly
20 > expect
21 > someone to realize the value of Linux for this. I'd like to have a
22 > solution
23 > in my mind when the time comes.
24 >
25 > I've considered the idea of a custom distribution to do this. There is no
26 > doubt in my mind, that any such distribtuion would be based on an existing
27 > one, with tweaks that deal with where updates come from, and what packages
28 > are availble, etc. Gentoo or Debian are the two likely candidates. I'm
29 > not
30 > *sure* a customized distribution is appropriate.
33 I think you should take a look at:
34
35 http://www.reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet/index.html
36 http://www.cfengine.org/