From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 17:25:51
1 Am 05.10.2014 um 19:10 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 05/10/2014 18:59, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >>> My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
4 >>>> thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
5 >>>> could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
6 >>>> managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
7 >>>> switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.
8 >> or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
9 >> But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
10 >> all filters broke - several times.
11 >
12 > Ever notice how no other pim-like application feels the need to store
13 > everything in mysql or similar? The fact that so many pim-like apps
14 > actually do work should count for something
17 >>>> I keep reading reports that kdepim is nowadays so much better and
18 >>>> stable, but to be frank I do not trust it, and likely never will. I also
19 >>>> understand this is not entirely logical, but it's just the way it is.
20 >> as long as akonadi with its idiotic database backend is around, it will
21 >> never be trustworthy.
22 >>>> The rest of KDE I find to be very usable and rather pleasant to use. My
23 >>>> sole remaining gripe is lack of stored sessions in dolphin :-)
24 >>>>
25 >> My favorite fuckups which are still around:
26 >> tumblr can make konqueror hang at 100% cpu for minutes, because of some
27 >> javascript - firefox and chromium are fine and dlisted in one tab is
28 >> fine, but open one of their articles in a new tab and konqueror just
29 >> vanishes. Not even the crash dialog pops up.
30 > I haven't used konqueror as a browser in many many months, I get along
31 > just fine with firefox and chromium. I believe konqueror is essentially
32 > unmaintained these days or at least on life support. Make a fine file
33 > manager though (kparts has always been one of KDE's very much better ideas)
39 konqueror for the usual stuff
40 firefox for video sites (like youtube)&facebook
41 chromium for fucking retard sites that make my blood boil. like
42 *.yahoo.com, tumblr, flickr.