From: M Daniel R M <4.magarzo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problems with the web browsers
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:02:15
1 On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 20:16 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/16/2009 07:40 PM, M Daniel R M wrote:
3 > > firefox: Here the problem is very very annoying, I've run firefox before
4 > > with many other Linux flavours and never..., never got to this status of
5 > > inability; once you've got about six tabs opened on the same frame
6 > > window, firefox gets close to hang, and you become unable to manage it
7 > > anymore, unless you have an infinite patience. Doing "top" from a CLI
8 > > shows a %CPU _over_ 100%, amazing!. At the end, you'll have to kill the
9 > > process from console.
10 > >
11 > > I don't know, either, why firefox gets to this status; preferences are
12 > > as usual, etc. Maybe the problem roots from the flags when compiling,
13 > > but I haven't received any message from the system, IIRC... Is there any
14 > > flag wrong on my system?
15 >
16 > I remember Firefox was biting me with this too at some time. The
17 > solution for me was to go to Edit->Preferences, and in the "Security"
18 > tab uncheck the "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web
19 > forgeries" checkboxes. The issue was that those features use sqlite to
20 > update internal databases of thousands of "malware" sites, and updates
21 > to these lists were bringing my CPU to its knees.
22 >
23 > So try that and see if it helps.
26 Originally they both were checked. Then, unchecked and re-cheched again,
27 it seems that there were no difference here. Disabling add-ons on
28 firefox seems to have been the "provisional" solution.
31 > > CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
32 > > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
33 >
34 > Btw, if you're on a Core2 and a recent GCC, you might want to change
35 > that to "-march=core2" or "-march=native".
39 Yes, I'm on a Core2, a laptop (Thinkpad T61), here you are a cat over
40 cpuinfo:
41
42 proc # cat cpuinfo
43 processor : 0
44 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
45 cpu family : 6
46 model : 23
47 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
48 stepping : 6
49 cpu MHz : 2101.000
50 cache size : 3072 KB
51 physical id : 0
52 siblings : 2
53 core id : 0
54 cpu cores : 2
55 apicid : 0
56 initial apicid : 0
57 fpu : yes
58 fpu_exception : yes
59 cpuid level : 10
60 wp : yes
61 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
62 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
63 syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64
64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm ida
65 tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
66 bogomips : 4189.76
67 clflush size : 64
68 cache_alignment : 64
69 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
70 power management:
71
72 processor : 1
73 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
74 cpu family : 6
75 model : 23
76 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
77 stepping : 6
78 cpu MHz : 2100.000
79 cache size : 3072 KB
80 physical id : 0
81 siblings : 2
82 core id : 1
83 cpu cores : 2
84 apicid : 1
85 initial apicid : 1
86 fpu : yes
87 fpu_exception : yes
88 cpuid level : 10
89 wp : yes
90 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
91 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
92 syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64
93 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm ida
94 tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
95 bogomips : 4189.28
96 clflush size : 64
97 cache_alignment : 64
98 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
99 power management:
100 --------------------------
103 Here you are the GCC version:
104
105 proc # gcc --version
106 gcc (Gentoo 4.3.2-r3 p1.6, pie-10.1.5) 4.3.2
107 Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
108 This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
109 NO
110 warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
111 PURPOSE.
112 -----------------
115 I already knew about that possibility indeed; Actually, I got to have it
116 some time ago (months) here, on this unit, when I made my first install
117 of Gentoo (bad end then :-))
118 Now, I've just leaved it as is 'cause of laziness, just laziness, man.
119 Apart from that, I'm not much sure there would be any significant
120 difference..., would be it?
121
122 Thanks a lot.
123