From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: problems with the web browsers
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:18:19
1 On 08/16/2009 07:40 PM, M Daniel R M wrote:
2 > firefox: Here the problem is very very annoying, I've run firefox before
3 > with many other Linux flavours and never..., never got to this status of
4 > inability; once you've got about six tabs opened on the same frame
5 > window, firefox gets close to hang, and you become unable to manage it
6 > anymore, unless you have an infinite patience. Doing "top" from a CLI
7 > shows a %CPU _over_ 100%, amazing!. At the end, you'll have to kill the
8 > process from console.
9 >
10 > I don't know, either, why firefox gets to this status; preferences are
11 > as usual, etc. Maybe the problem roots from the flags when compiling,
12 > but I haven't received any message from the system, IIRC... Is there any
13 > flag wrong on my system?
14
15 I remember Firefox was biting me with this too at some time. The
16 solution for me was to go to Edit->Preferences, and in the "Security"
17 tab uncheck the "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web
18 forgeries" checkboxes. The issue was that those features use sqlite to
19 update internal databases of thousands of "malware" sites, and updates
20 to these lists were bringing my CPU to its knees.
21
22 So try that and see if it helps.
25 > CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
26 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
27
28 Btw, if you're on a Core2 and a recent GCC, you might want to change
29 that to "-march=core2" or "-march=native".