From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problems with the web browsers
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:53:12
1 090816 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/16/2009 07:40 PM, M Daniel R M wrote:
3 >> I've run firefox before with many other Linux flavours
4 >> and never got to this status of inability;
5 >> once you've got about six tabs opened on the same frame window,
6 >> firefox gets close to hang, and you become unable to manage it anymore,
7 >> Doing "top" from a CLI shows a %CPU _over_ 100%, amazing!
8 >> At the end, you'll have to kill the process from console.
9 > I remember Firefox was biting me with this too at some time.
10 > The solution was to Edit->Preferences and in the "Security" tab
11 > uncheck "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries".
12 > those features use sqlite to update internal databases
13 > of thousands of "malware" sites which was bringing my CPU to its knees.
14
15 I have both those boxes checked & rarely have a problem:
16 try toggling preferences which look CPU-intensive & see what happens.
17 Occasionally, I do have a problem with a particular WWW page,
18 when I have to kill Firefox via 'htop', but it's rare (probably JS).
19 The 3.0 version was running very slowly on my 2003 machine (AMD Athlon),
20 but 3.5.2 is as fast there as here on my 2007 machine (Core 2 Duo).
21
22 >> CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
23 >> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
24 > if you're on a Core2 and a recent GCC,
25 > you might want to change that to "-march=core2" or "-march=native".
26
27 I use Gcc 4.3.2-r3 & have CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe".
31 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
32 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
33 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca