From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended printer?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 08:32:54
1 On Oct 23, 2011 6:59 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Grant wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Cheapest laser you can find at Office Depot tends to be a Brother. I've
6 got
7 >>> two...an HL-2040 and an HL-2140. Both work perfectly with CUPS.
8 >>
9 >> +1. Every Brother laser printer I've tried works perfectly. I don't
10 >> even bother with linuxprinting.org any more. When I wear one laser
11 >> printer out, I just buy the latest Brother.
12 >>
13 >> - Grant
17 > I used to work for a computer place and we sold and serviced Brother
18 stuff. They were well made back then. I haven't used one in a long while
19 but it sounds like they still make good stuff. I always liked that they had
20 metal gears and stuff when everyone else had went to plastic. Epsons were
21 good at going with plastic, even on their higher end stuff. They would
22 strip out regular too. Get a good paper jam, you need a set of gears.
23 >
24 > My fav was the Genicom line printer tho. We had several 4440s and they
25 were blazingly fast. A case of paper was like pouring water out of a jug.
26 o_O
29 Although some metal gears have given way to plastic stuffs, I can still
30 vouch for their reliability. My office had one, and it's generally abused,
31 yet it still chugs along merrily.
32
33 Truly gave my boss a mid-life crisis: He's a champion of a two-letter brand,
34 and his worldview came crashing to the ground when the Brother proved itself
35 to be more reliable than his preferred brand ;-)
36
37 Rgds,