From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 14:53:52
1 On 5/11/2011 9:40 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 05/11/2011 03:33 PM, Dale wrote:
4
5 >>> root@fireball / # cat /etc/make.conf | grep utf
6 >>> LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
7 >>> root@fireball / #
8
9 Putting your LC_* values in make.conf means they're only going to apply
10 when you are building things, and not in everyday use. If it's working,
11 you either haven't had to do anything where UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 would
12 produce different results, or you have LC_* or LANG defined somewhere
13 else :)
14
15 >> Two issues. First, LC_ALL does not belong in make.conf. It belongs
16 >> in /etc/env.d/02locale. Second, "en_US.utf8" is not correct. It's
17 >> "en_US.UTF-8". :-)
18
19 For whatever reason, the generated locale names (as visible by locale(1)
20 for example) get this wrong, which is why either variation selects the
21 correct locale definition:
22
23 kutulu@basement ~ $ locale -a
24 C
25 en_US.utf8
26 POSIX
27
28 It's particularly odd, since the charmap file is correctly named UTF-8
29 and you need to pass "-f UTF-8" to localedef to generate them. :\
30
31 > Funny that it seems to work. I don't have that file:
32 >
33 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
34 > cat: /etc/env.d/02locale: No such file or directory
35 > root@fireball / #
36
37 You need to create the /etc/env.d/02locale file yourself; the name is
38 just the "generally accepted" one most systems use.
39
40 > But I do have this one:
41 >
42 > root@fireball / # cat /etc/locale.gen
43 [...]
44 > en_US ISO-8859-1
45 > en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
46
47 This file is only used when you run locale-gen and/or rebuild glibc
48 (which, in turn, runs locale-gen). It dictates whichs locales get built
49 and installed, but not which one of those is used by default.
50
51 > I followed a guide when I did mine which is why I don't recall most of
52 > it. On this rig, it wasn't to long ago. My old rig has even older
53 > config files. That install is about 6 pr 7 years old if I recall
54 > correctly.
55
56 The guide you probably should be following is:
57
58 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
59
60 --Mike