From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:07:34
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:53 -0500
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
6 >> brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
7 >> other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
8 >> electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
9 >> (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
10 >> light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
11 > Apartment living maybe?
12 >
13 > I have 1 XBox, 2 Wii's, 40" LED TV, 22" LED monitor, 16" LCD monitor, an
14 > xbmc frontend, 2 el-cheap android tablets permanently plugged in, 1
15 > desktop, 2 HP microservers and 3 laptops running almost 24/7. And about
16 > 10 incandescent bulbs all evening, 2 neons and umpteen CFLs.
17 >
18 > It's a lot of power, sure.
19 >
20 > And all quite insignificant when compared to what the swimming pool
21 > pump uses......
22 >
23 > All a matter of perspective I suppose :-)
27 My biggest expenses, refrigeration and heating/cooling. I have a large
28 fridge, two deep freezers, two window A/C's for summer and a large
29 heater for the winter. Compare any of those to my computer, the
30 computer is a rounding error. My main rig, monitor, router, DSL modem
31 and printer pulls about 150 watts at most. At most would be while it is
32 compiling or something. When idle, ~100 watts. I figured it up once
33 and I think it costs about $12.00 a month to run. Heck, when I have a
34 $200.00 power bill, rounding error comes to mind. Heck, taxes and fees
35 on the power bill is more than my puter uses. I would much rather fuss
36 about the taxes than my puter. I use my puter. lol
37
38 I think you hit it pretty good tho Alan. It's perspective.
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!