From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Dual or Quad CPU complications?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:57:28
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I've only ever used systems with a single CPU.  I'm looking for a new host for
5 a dedicated server (suggestions?) and it looks like I'll probably choose a
6 machine with two or four CPUs.
7
8 NUMA is specialization, imho:
9 http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.resourcemanagement.doc_41/using_numa_systems_with_esx_esxi/c_what_is_numa.html
10
11 The more cores the better. 6 and 8 are readily available.
12 The 6 core AMD near 4 GHz is the sweet spot, imho.
13 Here is a 4 core on sale at Newegg: AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz
14
15 If you run a feature rich desktop (kde, gnome, etc) then the more cores the
16 better. Compiling code is much faster and you can still have a snappy
17 desk top. Most gentoo folks compile quite a bit of code, depending on your
18 updates and how often you experiment with new features or software.
19
20 I'm setting up some new FX-8350 machines, but fully flushed out, there
21 around a 1K (USD). Surely you can replace a mobo with a quad and as much ram as
22 will fit, and get a fine machine. CPU speed, for me, is the dominate feature,
23 when you are only doing a few things for a snappy workstation. Lots of cores and
24 low CPU speed and low ram, sucks, imho. Max amount and max speed of the RAM
25 is the killer performance edge for most workstations, imho.
26
27 It boils down to a personal decision. The world of software
28 is migrating to multi-threading, so the more cores, the
29 more future-proof, imho.
30
31 hth,
32 James