From: Rafa Griman <rafagriman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dual or Quad CPU complications?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 07:55:26
1 On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I've only ever used systems with a single CPU. I'm looking for a new host for
6 > a dedicated server (suggestions?) and it looks like I'll probably choose a
7 > machine with two or four CPUs.
8 >
9 > NUMA is specialization, imho:
10 > http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.resourcemanagement.doc_41/using_numa_systems_with_esx_esxi/c_what_is_numa.html
11 >
12 > The more cores the better. 6 and 8 are readily available.
13 > The 6 core AMD near 4 GHz is the sweet spot, imho.
14 > Here is a 4 core on sale at Newegg: AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz
17 That depends greatly on the applications he's running. If the
18 application(s) is(are) memory bound or I/O bound, more cores doesn't
19 necessarily mean better performance.
22 > If you run a feature rich desktop (kde, gnome, etc) then the more cores the
23 > better. Compiling code is much faster and you can still have a snappy
24 > desk top. Most gentoo folks compile quite a bit of code, depending on your
25 > updates and how often you experiment with new features or software.
26 >
27 > I'm setting up some new FX-8350 machines, but fully flushed out, there
28 > around a 1K (USD). Surely you can replace a mobo with a quad and as much ram as
29 > will fit, and get a fine machine. CPU speed, for me, is the dominate feature,
30 > when you are only doing a few things for a snappy workstation. Lots of cores and
31 > low CPU speed and low ram, sucks, imho. Max amount and max speed of the RAM
32 > is the killer performance edge for most workstations, imho.
35 MHO and experience is that you need a balanced system, IOW: if you
36 have a whole bunch of cores and GHz but crappy drive ... say bye to
37 performance, you'll be getting iowaits and your cores will be idle :(
40 > It boils down to a personal decision. The world of software
41 > is migrating to multi-threading, so the more cores, the
42 > more future-proof, imho.
45 MHO: it boils down to the software he's running ;)
46
47 Rafa