From: Markus Kaindl <markus.kaindl@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fresh install and problem with net.* init.d script
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:00:02
1 Am 22.07.2013 23:35, schrieb FredL:
2 >>
3 >> Do you perhaps have NetworkManager or wicd installed?
6 >> no, none of them, it is a very basic install, with only the minimum
7 >> packages installed . I have checked at the init script and find a line
8 >> in the depend section saying :
9 >>
10 >> after lo lo0 dbus
11 >>
12 >> but dbus is not yet installed, can this be the cause of my problem?
13 >
14 > so I have just installed dbus and add it to default runlevel and my
15 > net.* script are loaded correctly setting my static config, so every
16 > thing is fine now.
17 >
18 > But why do we need dbus in a very minimalistic system? I was thinking
19 > that it would be helpful in a full desktop environnement for
20 > automagically mounting device and things like that...
21 >
22 > Saying that I've just remenbered that I have selected the desktop
23 > profile instead of the default one, can this be why my init script need
24 > dbus for starting net iface?
27 As Bruce did show: You don't need to have dbus installed for net.* to
28 work. Also it did work, when you started net.* it manually, without
29 having dbus installed, right?
30
31 I don't know, what did start dhcp on your interfaces, you should check
32 that. AFAIK your kernel does a automatic dhcp-configuration of your
33 interfaces when you have set CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP. You could try to
34 disable dbus and check, if your interfaces get up with dhcp again and
35 then disable CONFIG_IP_PNP or all CONFIG_IP_PNP_*-options and check
36 again. (If they where activated of course ;) )
37
38 For your net.* initscripts not starting automatically I don't have an
39 idea other than maybe you forgot to add them to the runlevels right now,
40 but that would not explain, why they do start after adding dbus...
41
42 It would be interesting, to know, what did really happen, so please let
43 us know, what you find out ;)
44
45 Regards,
46 Markus