From: "Nico Schümann" <nico.schuemann@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] <OT>: [OT: JOKE]virtual Windows solution...
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:36:26
1 2006/7/14, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>:
2 > Linux can run trash even now. The funniest thing is that *trashers*
3 > don't know it and they think windows is irreplaceable for great many
4 > programs but that's not true...at least not any more.
5
6 And so I don't use windows. The only thing I miss is the perfect ICQ
7 client. GAIM is nice, but I'm a bit tired of the away message issue.
8 They just don't get it work. Kopete, well, they have a broken file
9 transfer thing. And file transfers are more important for me than just
10 showing people a bit of text. And I like CenterICQ. I have a linux box
11 (I have tree linux boxes - all my boxes run linux (you know, I can't
12 stand windows) except my notebook, but the ACPI support just sucks. I
13 know, Linus. The ACPI designers are monkeys on drugs. We all know.)
14 which I want to connect to wherever I am. And I want to run ICQ
15 wherever I am. And I can't install VNC clients or nx-clients wherever
16 I am. So I just run ssh or PuTTY. And it works. I just miss things
17 like file transfers.
18
19 > One of the most popular false beliefs is "linux can't run games".
20
21 I don't play computer games. But if someone sais this (and this
22 happens from time to time), I run Nexuiz or Quake4-Demo or stuff. And
23 everytime I show people: "Hey, you don't need windows to play games.
24 And you see, this is an old box (PIII, 550MHz; AMD, 800MHz) which just
25 runs this games without any problems". And then they are a bit
26 impressed.
27
28 Another thing:
29 My scanner is connected to my father's computer. I personally don't
30 have a scanner and I don't need it. Well, I scanned a picture with
31 highest quality, which resulted in a 20MiB JPEG. I tried twice to open
32 it with Windows (2,6GHz, 1GB RAM) and both times the machine just
33 crashed. Then I went to my linux box, ran GIMP and everything was
34 fine. And actually, GIMP used 30% of my RAM.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list