From: Dunc <dunc@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update portage cache ... horribly slow
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:48:37
1 Pawe³ Madej wrote:
2
3 > Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
4 >
5 >> This cache is used to resolve all packages you want to update,install
6 >> or remove from your box; if you turn off this cache you would need to
7 >> do the same action to every emerge option; I believe that is better to
8 >> let it do just when updating portage tree .... :)
9 >>
10 >> Holpe it helps, Allan
13 > Thx for fast answer.
14 >
15 > Ok I'll leave it as is, but maybe is there any way too speedup it? It
16 > runs on my P3 800 / HDD 5400 rpm more that 10 minutes.
17 >
18 > Or it is working on every computer so slowly?
19 >
20 > Greets
21 > Pawe³
22 >
23 That sounds a bit slow, but not massively so, it takes a long time.
24
25 You could CRON your emerge sync to happen in the middle of the night,
26 and then you won't have to watch it. :-)
27
28 For something you should only do once a day, 10 minutes isn't that bad
29 though.
30
31 Cheers,
32