From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:38:00
1 Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > <<SNIP >>
3 >
4 > Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
5 > got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
6 > because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
7 > like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
8 > kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 >
12 > Michael
16 First things first. Use caution with this. A LOT of caution. Always
17 do a --pretend first, no exception. I would strongly recommend you to
18 never let it just remove packages, always remove them by hand. That's
19 how I do it anyway.
20
21 emerge -p --depclean
22
23 That will tell you packages that are installed and !may! not be needed
24 by other packages. Note all the warnings here? I have not had anything
25 serious removed by using this in ages but strange things can happen.
26 You need to be careful with this. Remove the wrong thing and it can be
27 a uphill battle to get it fixed.
28
29 If you have a problem with things being removed from your world file,
30 someone may can give you the command to rebuild it. I'd backup the
31 current one first, just in case. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do
32 that but can't recall at the moment. I have never had to do that before.
33
34 Dale
35
40 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list