From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:21:20
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:51:29 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >
5 >> In "prose": I have kde-i18n-3.5.8 installed. In tree, there's
6 >> an update available (kde-i18n-3.5.9).
7 >>
8 >> Why was that updatedable package not picked up, when I ran
9 >> emerge -DuvatN world? I also tried "emerge -Duvat world" -
10 >> same effect.
11 >
12 > Is kde-i18n in your world file?
13
14 No, it's not.
15
16 > If emerge --depclean -p suggests removing
17 > it, it's not. Add it with emerge -n kde-i18n.
18
19 Hm - why should I want to add kde-i18n to the world file?
20 I ran "emerge -D" (--deep). From man emerge:
21
22 --deep (-D)
23 This flag forces emerge to consider the entire dependency tree
24 of packages, instead of checking only the immediate dependencies
25 of the packages. As an example, this catches updates in
26 libraries that are not directly listed in the dependencies of a
27 package. Also see --with-bdeps for behavior with respect to
28 build time dependencies that are not strictly required.
29
30 kde-i18n got installed as a dependency of some KDE package. Hmm...
31 I suppose I got it, because I used to have kde-meta installed. And
32 that package got "lost", somehow. And as it's no longer installed,
33 there's nothing installed on my system which has kde-i18n as a
34 dependency. And it's not in the world file.
35
36 As that's so, emerge "lost track" of this package, so to say.
37 Does that sound like a correct summary?
38
39 Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
40 got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
41 because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
42 like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
43 kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).
44
45 Thanks,
46
47 Michael