From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Pro and Contra ?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:22:00
1 Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Soon I will change me system from PATA (80GB) to SATA (200GB). I am
5 > playing with installing LVM for all parts of the filesystem with the
6 > execption of the / -filesystem. May be I will convert this later,
7 > too, but one step after the other...
8 >
9 > But I have no idea about the Pros and Contras of using LVM instead of
10 > the classical fixed size partition scheme.
11 >
12 > Can someone point me to a text or something which explains this
13 > aspect of LVM ?
14 >
15 > I tried google but there far too many "Pro and Contra" texts about
16 > other things.....
17 >
18 > Thanks a lot in advance for any help in advance!
19 > mcc
20
21 On a home system I'd be tempted to have one big partition where LVM
22 would buy you nothing.
23
24 Pros: However at work I run a number of dev boxes. You can tell a
25 programmer many things, but you can't tell him where to put his files.
26 Using LVM I allocated 40GB of an 80GB drive and now can grow /var /tmp
27 /opt and /home as needed. I run the whole thing on top of a software
28 RAID 1.
29
30 Cons: I briefly blew up LVM by not rebuilding lvm after device-mapper
31 changed... or it might have been the other way around. Had to chroot,
32 figure out how to mount LVM, and then rebuild a few packages. Took maybe
33 60 minutes or so since I had to manually setup the RAID 1 first.
34 I guess the con is more stuff to remember to build into your kernel and
35 watch for updates on.
36
37 kashani
38 --