From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel ricing
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:38:55
1 On 24/10/2013 17:26, James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I now officially need new spectacles. I read -march=amdfam10 and my
6 >> eyeballs told my brain it was "arm"
7 >> <sigh>
8 >
9 > As an old fart, to a fledgling old-fart;
10
11 Now we can have a willy-waving contest!
12
13 I bet I'm an older fart than you are! nya-nya-nya-naaaaaa! <sung to the
14 tune of a teasing 6 year old)
15
16 its because ARM is taking over
17 > the world, that your brain performed this superposition transformation. Your
18 > glasses are most likely fine. You subconcience is smarter than your
19 > waking (carnal?) consience. Trust the force, luke......
20
21 Nah, the specs need replacing. There are some funky tri-focal jobs that
22 distort my depth vision, and I have to turn my head straight to look at
23 anything (no more looking out of the corner of my eyes). Makes
24 motorcycle riding a real pain
25
26 >> Please ignore this entire sub-thread
27 >
28 > The fact of the matter is this. If I knew back then, what I know
29 > now, I would not even fart around with x86* architectures on keen
30 > issues of minimization. There is so much going on with ARM.
31 > Minimization is about low power. The paradigm shift to low
32 > power (the lowest heat) allows for for the greatest transistor
33 > concentration ==> smallest size. ARM has beaten them all, AMD
34 > sees the light and is working on a myriad of hybrid SOCs, design
35 > specifically for tight target implementations. Samsung is killing
36 > the world, with ARM and open source linux.
37
38 I'm waiting for our approved hardware suppliers to come out with a range
39 of 1U pizza box ARM servers that management will buy into. But first
40 they need to lose the idea that virtualization is the go-fast solution
41 for anything.
42
43 Almost every single machine I run except the database servers will fly
44 along on ARM. I'm especially eager to see what ARM does with high
45 traffic DNS caches. Intuition tells me they will handle 20,000
46 queries/sec without breaking a sweat and the Gig ethernet will max out
47 long before the cpu does; all at 1/4 of the price
51 > Still, to get a taste for minimization, there is nothing like
52 > old (Gentoo) i586 and i486 sources and the 2.series of kernels
53 > to see just how small you can get (sub 1 Mbyte.....?).
54 > I've heard of kernels around 100Kb, in the old days.
55 >
56 > These kernels FLY! but may not do all you eventually need....
57 > TLS and such make it an infinite soup of trial and testing.
58 >
59 > hth,
60 >
61 > James