From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel ricing
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:22:21
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > I bet I'm an older fart than you are! nya-nya-nya-naaaaaa! <sung to the
4 > tune of a teasing 6 year old)
5
6 With all due respect, I was an " old-fart" in my youth. I use
7 to love sitting around campfires with old hunter (gathers?)
8 and shoot the shi____ about life.
9
10 Beside my tantrums are so ledgendary, they often lead to
11 a circle of folks joining in and chanting childish limricks
12 to a rythymic dance. The Tequila goddess usually follows
13 up my antics with show stopper (hoot_nanny) you cannot
14 believe.........
18 > Nah, the specs need replacing. There are some funky tri-focal jobs that
19 > distort my depth vision, and I have to turn my head straight to look at
20 > anything (no more looking out of the corner of my eyes). Makes
21 > motorcycle riding a real pain
22
23 preening code and riding a harley are differnt things? Boy, I did
24 not get that memo.
27 > I'm waiting for our approved hardware suppliers to come out with a range
28 > of 1U pizza box ARM servers that management will buy into. But first
29 > they need to lose the idea that virtualization is the go-fast solution
30 > for anything.
31
32 Virtualization is easy to shoot down for management types. Just start
33 them on a task force adressing all of the security issues opened up
34 related to virtualization.... [1]
37 > Almost every single machine I run except the database servers will fly
38 > along on ARM. I'm especially eager to see what ARM does with high
39 > traffic DNS caches. Intuition tells me they will handle 20,000
40 > queries/sec without breaking a sweat and the Gig ethernet will max out
41 > long before the cpu does; all at 1/4 of the price.
42
43 Well, 10 G Ethernet is coming to systems near you, sooner than later.
44 100 GE is availabe for routers now, if you have loads of CASH....
45 Once again, Juniper is killing the competition, imho.
48 Beside, virtualization is about to take on new meaning. [2] Imagine
49 a state machine for handling low-level register-memory tasks, whilst a
50 concurrent, real-time linux kernel handles traditional routing engine tasks,
51 both running on the same "bare metal" in a new twist of
52 virtualization....... Very secure to boot, unless the NSA influences
53 the foundry's methologies for laying out the "bare metal"......
56 On the memory side of things, there are many viable options that the
57 different ARM [3] vendors can choose from for such challenges.
58
59 Personally, the memory type that accompany the GPU, I think will change the
60 game for such needs, when the GPU become fully integrated with the cpu
61 cores (like what happend to FPU) in various SOC offerings. Granted, Arm is
62 late to the communications embedded systems efforts, but many of the top
63 hardware designers in routing and networking, are working on
64 ARM implementations for comm gear, as we speak.
65
66 ARM is simply whipping the dog_snot out of the other architectures.......
67
68 later,
69 James
70