From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CPU frequency tweaks
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 13:45:30
1 While installing Gentoo on a laptop with an AMD A10-5750M APU using the Gentoo
2 minimal-CD, I was troubled to see the CPU pegged at 3500MHz and consequent
3 thermal cutouts shutting down the laptop. By reducing the number of jobs and
4 using a desktop fan I managed to complete the installation.
5
6 When I rebooted into my own freshly compiled kernel I noticed the CPU
7 frequency would never go above 2500MHz. Investigating various files under /
8 sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy* I was surprised to see there was
9 nothing I could do to either engage any of CPU's boost states, or to increase
10 the frequency above a maximum value of 2500MHz.
11
12 # cpupower frequency-info
13 analyzing CPU 0:
14 driver: acpi-cpufreq
15 CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
16 CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
17 maximum transition latency: 4.0 us
18 hardware limits: 1.40 GHz - 2.50 GHz
19 available frequency steps: 2.50 GHz, 2.10 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1.40 GHz
20 available cpufreq governors: ondemand userspace performance schedutil
21 current policy: frequency should be within 1.40 GHz and 2.50 GHz.
22 The governor "userspace" may decide which speed to use
23 within this range.
24 current CPU frequency: 2.50 GHz (asserted by call to hardware)
25 boost state support:
26 Supported: yes
27 Active: no
28 Boost States: 3
29 Total States: 8
30 Pstate-Pb0: 3500MHz (boost state)
31 Pstate-Pb1: 3200MHz (boost state)
32 Pstate-Pb2: 2800MHz (boost state)
33 Pstate-P0: 2500MHz
34 Pstate-P1: 2100MHz
35 Pstate-P2: 1800MHz
36 Pstate-P3: 1400MHz
37 Pstate-P4: 900MHz
40 For example:
41
42 # echo 3500000 | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy3/scaling_setspeed
43 3500000
44 # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy3/scaling_setspeed
45 2500000
46
47 Or, how about using cpupower?
48
49 # cpupower frequency-set -g userspace -d 900MHz -u 3500MHz
50 Setting cpu: 0
51 Setting cpu: 1
52 Setting cpu: 2
53 Setting cpu: 3
54 # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_setspeed
55 2500000
56
57 Watching /proc/cpuinfo when compiling never shows the frequency reaching above
58 2500:
59
60 cpu MHz : 2495.389
61 cpu MHz : 2495.410
62 cpu MHz : 2495.389
63 cpu MHz : 2495.416
66 I can't think this is some hardcoded BIOS limitation, otherwise how come the
67 minimal-CD was boosting the frequency all the time to the point of shutting
68 down the laptop. Switching governor to 'performance' as the minimal-CD has it
69 set, or to userspace/schedutil has no effect to the maximum frequency the CPU
70 displays.
71
72 Any ideas how I can activate the boost states on this CPU, or what else I
73 could look into to unlock its potential and speed up my emerge?
76 Regards,
77
78 Mick