From: Shawn Singh <callmeshawn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] System Locking Up
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:48:13
1 Hello all,
2 Over the course of the past 2 weeks I've come home to a "zombie machine"
3 two times. Here are the symptoms:
4 1. Can't get the mouse to move on the screen
5 2. See the time is several hours back (the time that is displayed in the
6 panel)
7 3. Can't ssh into the box to find out what might be causing the system to be
8 unresponsive.
9 4. Can't ping the box.
10 When looking in /var/log in the critical and kernel sections I don't see
11 any warning messages. I've also looked in the Xorg and sshd logs to see if
12 there is anything in there to indicate what might be happening, but I don't
13 see anything.
14 I've got a Pentium 4 (1300 Mhz), 768Mb RAM. I've had Gentoo on this box for
15 several months now (at least 9) and have not seen this problem before (at
16 least that I can remember).
17 What log files might there be that might give some indications as to the
18 problem that might be causing the system to become unresponsive?
19
20 Thank you,
21 Shawn Singh