From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH question
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:09:04
1 On Monday 20 Aug 2012 12:35:06 David Relson wrote:
2 > On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:50:29 +0100
3 >
4 > Mick wrote:
5 > > On Monday 20 Aug 2012 04:48:40 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 > > > On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM, David Relson
7 > > > <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
8 > >
9 > > wrote:
10 > > > > G'day,
11 > > > >
12 > > > > I've volunteered to do some data entry for my local bike club.
13 > > > > This involves a java application (jar file) and a tunnel to a
14 > > > > mysql server. I have detailed PuTTY configuration instructions
15 > > > > but haven't yet succeeded in converting them to ssh options.
16 > > > >
17 > > > > The configuration options include:
18 > > > > Seconds between keepalives -- 120
19 > > > > Don't start a shell or command
20 > > > >
21 > > > > Forwarded port:
22 > > > > source port number - PORT
23 > > > > Destionation: MACHINE.DOMAIN.COM
24 > > > >
25 > > > > Host - IP_Address
26 > > > > Login - userid
27 > > > > Password - pw
28 > > > >
29 > > > > Using "ssh -N userid@IP_Address" gives me a password prompt and no
30 > > > > command prompt - both good.
31 > > > >
32 > > > > How do I specify the forwarded port?
33 > > >
34 > > > If I understand correctly, with -L:
35 > > >
36 > > > ssh -L XX:machine2:YY user@machine1
37 > > >
38 > > > This command will connect you to the "machine1" host with user
39 > > > "user", and any connection to the port XX to the machine you are
40 > > > running the ssh command from, will redirect the connection to the
41 > > > "machine2" host in the YY port.
42 > >
43 > > If you want to forward a local port XX to a remote port YY then
44 > > Canek's suggestion will do what you want, assuming that the correct
45 > > remote application is listening on port YY.
46 > >
47 > > When you have more than one application this can soon become
48 > > tedious. So, if you want to set up the remote machine as a SOCKS
49 > > proxy so that any socks-ified applications on the local machine can
50 > >
51 > > connect to the remote SOCKS, then you can use:
52 > > ssh -N -D XXXX user@machine1
53 > >
54 > > For applications that do not have built in proxy capability you can
55 > > use e.g. proxychains.
56 > >
57 > > HTH.
58 >
59 > H'lo Mick and Carnek,
60 >
61 > The mention of XX and YY wasn't transparent, but a bit of
62 > experimentation gave a good connection. Using the terms in my original
63 > post, I now have the following working command:
64 >
65 > ssh -2 -N -L PORT:MACHINE.DOMAIN.COM:22 userid@IP_Address
66 >
67 > Just need to add an appropriate TCPKeepAlive and all will be good.
68 >
69 > Thank you both for your tips..
70
71 You're welcome. BTW, port 22 in your example above does not *have* to be port
72 22. As a matter of fact if it isn't, it would avoid zillions of connection
73 attempts by stupid botnets that could drive up your bandwidth consumption. It
74 could also be the same port as the one you use at your local host. Whichever
75 port you choose, you'll have to allow it through the firewall at the remote
76 machine and of course whichever application is running at the remote host that
77 you want to connect to, should be listening on said port.
78 --
79 Regards,
80 Mick