From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH question
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:37:32
1 On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:50:29 +0100
2 Mick wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 20 Aug 2012 04:48:40 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM, David Relson
6 > > <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
7 > wrote:
8 > > > G'day,
9 > > >
10 > > > I've volunteered to do some data entry for my local bike club.
11 > > > This involves a java application (jar file) and a tunnel to a
12 > > > mysql server. I have detailed PuTTY configuration instructions
13 > > > but haven't yet succeeded in converting them to ssh options.
14 > > >
15 > > > The configuration options include:
16 > > > Seconds between keepalives -- 120
17 > > > Don't start a shell or command
18 > > >
19 > > > Forwarded port:
20 > > > source port number - PORT
21 > > > Destionation: MACHINE.DOMAIN.COM
22 > > >
23 > > > Host - IP_Address
24 > > > Login - userid
25 > > > Password - pw
26 > > >
27 > > > Using "ssh -N userid@IP_Address" gives me a password prompt and no
28 > > > command prompt - both good.
29 > > >
30 > > > How do I specify the forwarded port?
31 > >
32 > > If I understand correctly, with -L:
33 > >
34 > > ssh -L XX:machine2:YY user@machine1
35 > >
36 > > This command will connect you to the "machine1" host with user
37 > > "user", and any connection to the port XX to the machine you are
38 > > running the ssh command from, will redirect the connection to the
39 > > "machine2" host in the YY port.
40 >
41 > If you want to forward a local port XX to a remote port YY then
42 > Canek's suggestion will do what you want, assuming that the correct
43 > remote application is listening on port YY.
44 >
45 > When you have more than one application this can soon become
46 > tedious. So, if you want to set up the remote machine as a SOCKS
47 > proxy so that any socks-ified applications on the local machine can
48 > connect to the remote SOCKS, then you can use:
49 >
50 > ssh -N -D XXXX user@machine1
51 >
52 > For applications that do not have built in proxy capability you can
53 > use e.g. proxychains.
54 >
55 > HTH.
56 > --
57 > Regards,
58 > Mick
59
60 H'lo Mick and Carnek,
61
62 The mention of XX and YY wasn't transparent, but a bit of
63 experimentation gave a good connection. Using the terms in my original
64 post, I now have the following working command:
65
66 ssh -2 -N -L PORT:MACHINE.DOMAIN.COM:22 userid@IP_Address
67
68 Just need to add an appropriate TCPKeepAlive and all will be good.
69
70 Thank you both for your tips..
71
72 Regards,