From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH question
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 05:53:12
1 On Monday 20 Aug 2012 04:48:40 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > G'day,
5 > >
6 > > I've volunteered to do some data entry for my local bike club. This
7 > > involves a java application (jar file) and a tunnel to a mysql
8 > > server. I have detailed PuTTY configuration instructions but haven't
9 > > yet succeeded in converting them to ssh options.
10 > >
11 > > The configuration options include:
12 > > Seconds between keepalives -- 120
13 > > Don't start a shell or command
14 > >
15 > > Forwarded port:
16 > > source port number - PORT
17 > > Destionation: MACHINE.DOMAIN.COM
18 > >
19 > > Host - IP_Address
20 > > Login - userid
21 > > Password - pw
22 > >
23 > > Using "ssh -N userid@IP_Address" gives me a password prompt and no
24 > > command prompt - both good.
25 > >
26 > > How do I specify the forwarded port?
27 >
28 > If I understand correctly, with -L:
29 >
30 > ssh -L XX:machine2:YY user@machine1
31 >
32 > This command will connect you to the "machine1" host with user "user",
33 > and any connection to the port XX to the machine you are running the
34 > ssh command from, will redirect the connection to the "machine2" host
35 > in the YY port.
36
37 If you want to forward a local port XX to a remote port YY then Canek's
38 suggestion will do what you want, assuming that the correct remote application
39 is listening on port YY.
40
41 When you have more than one application this can soon become tedious. So, if
42 you want to set up the remote machine as a SOCKS proxy so that any socks-ified
43 applications on the local machine can connect to the remote SOCKS, then you
44 can use:
45
46 ssh -N -D XXXX user@machine1
47
48 For applications that do not have built in proxy capability you can use e.g.
49 proxychains.
50
51 HTH.
52 --