From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Long boot time after kernel update
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:34:52
1 On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 8:32 AM Jacques Montier <jmontier@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, il cleaned my dusty mobo, unplugged and plugged again the sata cables.
4 > Now, with or without NCQ, boot time is rather short (~28s).
5 > So it seems it was a connection problem.
6
7 Yeah, I've suspected my cables for some of these ATA errors. I do
8 feel like SATA is probably a bit lacking in error management, but I
9 haven't looked into the gory details.
10
11 That said, without NCQ the drive should work completely normally but
12 you may get degraded performance. The idea of NCQ is that the kernel
13 can feed the drive multiple instructions at a time, and then the drive
14 firmware can optimize order of execution to reduce seek time. The
15 kernel doesn't know the physical layout of the disk and so if the
16 commands are executed in strict order the drive may end up seeking in
17 a non-optimal way, and of course with mechanical drives being what
18 they are that is very costly. A bit of controller CPU spent solving
19 the travelling salesman problem can save a LOT of time waiting for the
20 disk and heads to move.
21
22 One of the bigger changes in NVMe is making the queue vastly larger so
23 that more operations can be done in parallel. Obviously there are no
24 seek times in flash, but I'm not familiar with how the actual
25 addressing works so there may still be cases where the order of access
26 matters, or where dispatching instructions in parallel keeps the
27 pipeline more full.
30 Rich