From: Heinz Sporn <heinz.sporn@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub over the top of Win XP
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 07:28:40
1 Am Dienstag, den 06.09.2005, 21:40 -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > OK, the target machine is now rebuilt. I decided since I had to
5 > rebuild both WinXP and Gentoo that I'd just put them on the same hard
6 > drive. The Gentoo install is complete right up to the point where I
7 > run grub and write it somewhere and I want to make sure I understand
8 > the right way to do this.
9 >
10 > The disk layout is like this
11 >
12 > (MBR) - Win XP
13 > /dev/hda1 - Win XP
14 > /dev/hda2 - extended partition
15 > /dev/hda5 - /boot
16 > /dev/hda6 - swap
17 > /dev/hda7 - /
18 > /dev/hda8 - /home
19 >
20 > Now, my question, where do I write grub? I believe it's into the
21 > MBR and not into partition 1, correct? If so I'd use:
22 >
23 > grub
24 >
25 > grub> root (hd0,4)
26
27 LOL! Now you gave the poor guy at least three different numbers. One
28 thing is right though: find /boot within Grub's numbering scheme.
29 Instead of GUESSING try the following:
30
31 1. Enter grub as usual
32 2. Enter root ( and press tab. Grub lists the available disks /
33 partitions
34 3. Select the one you're think is right. At the end of the line e.g.
35 root (hd0,1) add / and press tab again. Grub now list the directory
36 content of that root partition. If you found what you were looking for
37 you're done - else continue with step 2.
40 > grub> setup (hd0) (Install GRUB in the MBR)
41 > grub> quit
42 >
43 > Is this correct?
44 >