From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub over the top of Win XP
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:04:44
1 On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:23:50 +0200, Heinz Sporn wrote:
2
3 > > The disk layout is like this
4 > >
5 > > (MBR) - Win XP
6 > > /dev/hda1 - Win XP
7 > > /dev/hda2 - extended partition
8 > > /dev/hda5 - /boot
9 > > /dev/hda6 - swap
10 > > /dev/hda7 - /
11 > > /dev/hda8 - /home
12 > >
13 > > Now, my question, where do I write grub? I believe it's into the
14 > > MBR and not into partition 1, correct? If so I'd use:
15
16 Correct, and /dev/hda5 is (hd0,4) despite all the conflicting advice
17 you've been given. All my boxes have /boot on hda5 and all use hd0,4
18 (well, except the iBook which uses that horrible yaboot thing, anyone
19 who wants to start a grub vs. lilo flame war should be made to use
20 yaboot).
21
22 > LOL! Now you gave the poor guy at least three different numbers. One
23 > thing is right though: find /boot within Grub's numbering scheme.
24 > Instead of GUESSING try the following:
25 >
26 > 1. Enter grub as usual
27 > 2. Enter root ( and press tab. Grub lists the available disks /
28 > partitions
29 > 3. Select the one you're think is right. At the end of the line e.g.
30 > root (hd0,1) add / and press tab again. Grub now list the directory
31 > content of that root partition. If you found what you were looking for
32 > you're done - else continue with step 2.
33
34 Or, enter grub and type "find /grub/grub.conf" or "find /grub/menu.lst"
35 and all will be clear.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 TROI : What am I sensing?? I'm sensing INCOMPETENCE, you pretentious
42 bald pseudo-French dickweed!