From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Automatic host switching
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:21:29
1 On Sunday 21 September 2008 18:47:24 Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:08:18 +0200
3 >
4 > Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > My home server is 192.168.1.5 in my home wan, the hostname of the
6 > > machine is "fandango", and the the /etc/hosts in my laptop looks like
7 > > this:
8 > >
9 > > [...]
10 > > 192.168.1.5 fandango
11 > >
12 > > Sometimes I need to connect to the server while I'm far from home, so
13 > > the server has also a dyndns address, let's say "fandango.dyndns.org".
14 > >
15 > > When I connect from outside my wan I use "fandango.dyndns.org", when
16 > > I'm at home just "fandango".
17 > >
18 > > Is there a way to tell my laptop to always use "fandango" and,
19 > > if "192.168.1.5" is available, to resolve it this way, otherwise to
20 > > resolve it as "fandango.dyndns.org".
21 > >
22 > > This way I will avoid double configurations, double password stored
23 > > in firefox, ecc...
24 > >
25 > > Any ideas?
26 >
27 > Well, when I used to switch my laptop between college (college didn't
28 > use DHCP!) and home networks, I was reduced to a script to switch
29 > configs for eth0...
30 >
31 > It sounds like all you need to do is swap out the hosts file depending
32 > on which network you are on, this shouldn't be difficult...
33 >
34 > Rob.
35
36 Like having a /etc/hosts.home and a /etc/hosts.world and a script that
37 sysmlinks them to /etc/hosts depending on the fact that i can ping or not
38 192.168.1.5?
42 MOMESSO ANDREA
43 339 4192788