From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Automatic host switching
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:47:30
1 On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:08:18 +0200
2 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > My home server is 192.168.1.5 in my home wan, the hostname of the
5 > machine is "fandango", and the the /etc/hosts in my laptop looks like
6 > this:
7 >
8 > [...]
9 > 192.168.1.5 fandango
10 >
11 > Sometimes I need to connect to the server while I'm far from home, so
12 > the server has also a dyndns address, let's say "fandango.dyndns.org".
13 >
14 > When I connect from outside my wan I use "fandango.dyndns.org", when
15 > I'm at home just "fandango".
16 >
17 > Is there a way to tell my laptop to always use "fandango" and,
18 > if "192.168.1.5" is available, to resolve it this way, otherwise to
19 > resolve it as "fandango.dyndns.org".
20 >
21 > This way I will avoid double configurations, double password stored
22 > in firefox, ecc...
23 >
24 > Any ideas?
25
26 Well, when I used to switch my laptop between college (college didn't
27 use DHCP!) and home networks, I was reduced to a script to switch
28 configs for eth0...
29
30 It sounds like all you need to do is swap out the hosts file depending
31 on which network you are on, this shouldn't be difficult...
32
33 Rob.