From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:18:03
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM, <v_2e@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:24:42 -0400
5 > Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >
7 >> I plan to build a new machine in the next few months:
8 >> it wb for regular desktop use, but performance is as important as
9 >> price.
10 >>
11 >> A quick look at what was available in April suggested
12 >> an Intel Ivy Bridge i7 ( 22 nm ) ; Phoronix said it works with Kernel
13 >> 3.2
14 >> + an Intel Z77 mobo (I usually buy ASUS) & that power/watt was
15 >> excellent.
16 >>
17 > If you are considering to buy an Intel CPU, I'd recommend you to pay
18 > some attention to such Intel' technologies as this one:
19 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Intel_Insider_and_remote-control
20 > because it doesn't looks like an advantage to the end user, but rather
21 > as a security (or privacy) hole in one's system.
22
23 We went through this on this list a couple months ago.
24
25 That tech has been part of business-grade laptops and workstations for
26 a while. It's intended as a tool for a corporate IT department, not
27 the direct user of the machine.
28
29 I'm not saying it's something I'd necessarily like to have on my
30 personal devices, just that it's not exactly new.
31 --
32 :wq