From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:26:03
1 On Friday 20 Jul 2012 13:13:41 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM, <v_2e@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > Hello!
4 > >
5 > > On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:24:42 -0400
6 > >
7 > > Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
8 > >> I plan to build a new machine in the next few months:
9 > >> it wb for regular desktop use, but performance is as important as
10 > >> price.
11 > >>
12 > >> A quick look at what was available in April suggested
13 > >> an Intel Ivy Bridge i7 ( 22 nm ) ; Phoronix said it works with Kernel
14 > >> 3.2
15 > >> + an Intel Z77 mobo (I usually buy ASUS) & that power/watt was
16 > >> excellent.
17 > >>
18 > > If you are considering to buy an Intel CPU, I'd recommend you to pay
19 > >
20 > > some attention to such Intel' technologies as this one:
21 > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Intel_Insider_and_remote-contr
22 > > ol because it doesn't looks like an advantage to the end user, but rather
23 > > as a security (or privacy) hole in one's system.
24 >
25 > We went through this on this list a couple months ago.
26 >
27 > That tech has been part of business-grade laptops and workstations for
28 > a while. It's intended as a tool for a corporate IT department, not
29 > the direct user of the machine.
30 >
31 > I'm not saying it's something I'd necessarily like to have on my
32 > personal devices, just that it's not exactly new.
33
34 I didn't know my laptop came with this <aheam> 'Intel rootkit' feature until I
35 posted here a few weeks ago. I haven't done any research on this, but found
36 these spooky pages:
37
38 http://communities.intel.com/community/vproexpert/blog/2012/01/19/configuring-
39 intel-vpro-with-linux-in-user-control-mode
40
41 http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-open-
42 source-drivers/
43
44 I'm not sure how vulnerable my machine may be as supplied by Dell - I assume
45 that unless the system is enabled first no out-of-band attempts will work.
46 --
47 Regards,
48 Mick