From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some precautions when updating from firefox-38 to firefox-42
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 18:29:05
1 On Thursday 03 Dec 2015 18:01:22 walt wrote:
2 > My trouble started with my update from firefox-39 to firefox-40 back
3 > in August 2015. At first the update seemed absolutely benign and I
4 > noticed nothing bad happening.
5 >
6 > Slowly but surely firefox has been driving me crazy by doing little
7 > things that are merely annoying. Today firefox did something so
8 > outrageous that finally I had to stop and fix the problem.
9 >
10 > The big change AFAICT was the switch from sqlite to json for storing
11 > data in your ~/.mozilla directory. Today I noticed that dozens of
12 > files in my ~/.mozilla directory had identical date and time stamps
13 > from back in August, all apparently written by firefox-39.
14 >
15 > The problem is that firefox-42 still reads *some* of those old files for
16 > backward compatibility, but apparently not all of them.
17 >
18 > Anyway, one obvious thing to do is start with a fresh ~/.mozilla
19 > directory when you use firefox-42. Or at least make a complete copy
20 > of your existing ~/.mozilla so you can start over when you have
21 > trouble.
22 >
23 > I recommend that you *not* use the profile editor from firefox-42 to
24 > edit any old firefox profiles you may have. You run the risk of
25 > damaging or deleting your old profiles by doing this. This is *not*
26 > equivalent to backing up your ~/.mozilla directory. Others have
27 > already learned the hard way, including moi.
28
29 Thanks for the heads up walt, I just made another back up in preparation.
30 Thankfully, I'm still on stable 38.4.0.
33 Regards,
34 Mick