From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Some precautions when updating from firefox-38 to firefox-42
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 18:02:03
1 My trouble started with my update from firefox-39 to firefox-40 back
2 in August 2015. At first the update seemed absolutely benign and I
3 noticed nothing bad happening.
4
5 Slowly but surely firefox has been driving me crazy by doing little
6 things that are merely annoying. Today firefox did something so
7 outrageous that finally I had to stop and fix the problem.
8
9 The big change AFAICT was the switch from sqlite to json for storing
10 data in your ~/.mozilla directory. Today I noticed that dozens of
11 files in my ~/.mozilla directory had identical date and time stamps
12 from back in August, all apparently written by firefox-39.
13
14 The problem is that firefox-42 still reads *some* of those old files for
15 backward compatibility, but apparently not all of them.
16
17 Anyway, one obvious thing to do is start with a fresh ~/.mozilla
18 directory when you use firefox-42. Or at least make a complete copy
19 of your existing ~/.mozilla so you can start over when you have
20 trouble.
21
22 I recommend that you *not* use the profile editor from firefox-42 to
23 edit any old firefox profiles you may have. You run the risk of
24 damaging or deleting your old profiles by doing this. This is *not*
25 equivalent to backing up your ~/.mozilla directory. Others have
26 already learned the hard way, including moi.