From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 01:00:20
1 On 09/06/2009 03:43 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 09/06/2009 02:23 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On Sunday 06 September 2009 00:48:40 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >>>>>> Also, have you considered that you got it all backwards? The kernel
7 >>>>>> configuration tells you that for lower latencies, you should use
8 >>>>>> 1000Hz and PREEMPT. It even says "Desktop" right there. Why should I
9 >>>>>> take your word over that of the kernel devs who actually wrote that
10 >>>>>> code?
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> low latency means bad throughput and that hurts IO.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> The average desktop user on Linux needs low latency. To get that, one
15 >>>> must sacrifice some throughput efficiency.
16 >>>
17 >>> and then complain, that IO hurts?
18 >>
19 >> No one complains that IO hurts. Perhaps you aren't even reading. The
20 >> complaints are about GUI stalls. Not slow IO.
21 >
22 > yeah, and most GUI stalls happen with big io. ooops.
25 >>> btw, I think, I am an average user, doing the average stuff, and I am
26 >>> pretty happy with 'voluntary preemption'.
27 >>
28 >> We are not.
29 >
30 > 'we'.
34 >>>> have you considered that there is a large population of users whose
35 >>>> needs and workload are totally different from yours and therefore
36 >>>> require something completely different to you?
37 >>>
38 >>> yes, but I consider my workload average. Surfing the web, watching tv,
39 >>> watching movies with xine/vlc/mplayer. Listening to music with amarok and
40 >>> alsaplayer. Typing stuff. Sometimes skype. Burning a dvd once in a while.
41 >>> vegastrike, ut2004, if I want to play a game.
42 >>>
43 >>> See? Average.
44 >>>
45 >>> Now 32 sound streams in ardour (or whatever tool you use for that), that
46 >>> is hardly 'average'.
47 >>
48 >> Doesn't matter if it's not average. What does matter is that Linux is
49 >> not up to the task while Windows and OS X are.
52 > and windows has a completly different, gui centric architecture. Oh, and for
53 > serious audio stuff you need special low latency drivers. Humpf.
54 >
55 > So what was your point again? Windows needs special drivers for serious audio
56 > stuff - and people are complaining that they have to turn on rt in linux for
57 > the same tasks?
58
59 I don't even know why I keep talking to you. You don't seem to *want*
60 to understand. It's not about special drivers. Or specialized audio
61 processing. It's about my 3D desktop cube getting skippy sometimes
62 while video is playing. It's about the transparency effect applied
63 while moving mplayer resulting in some frame skipping. It's about a
64 slight pause while scrolling a web page if I have an emerge running.
65 About the mouse freezing for about 0.1 seconds once in a while while
66 doing the same.
67
68 Can't you understand, or don't you want to understand?