From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo older versions
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 17:47:32
1 On Saturday 02 May 2009 19:14:45 Nitin Kanaskar wrote:
2 > Ok - I am not clear about the terminology -
3 > packages, versions...
4 > But i need to install gentoo 2004/2005 - if this
5 > is right. I am a graduate student doing research on
6 > vulnerabilities, exploits and IDS. Hence I am looking
7 > for older gentoo installations which i know have
8 > some vulnerabilities.
9 > If i have to build whole OS from source, I am willing
10 > to do that - but could not find any resource on that
11 > old stuff.
12
13 I may have a copy of the 2005.0 livecd lying around somewhere. If I find it,
14 I'll put a copy on my ftp server for you.
15
16 But I see some problems with what you are trying to do:
17
18 1. source repositories for code changes over time. 2004/2005 ebuilds may have
19 SRC_URIs that simply do not exist any more. Major packages (such as most of
20 system) will likely not be a problem, but minor packages may well be
21 problematic.
22
23 2. All gentoo ebuilds ever shipped are in cvs or svn somewhere. It was Neil
24 Bothwick or Iain Buchanan who recently posted a URL, with luck the right man
25 will see this and report. However, I do not know of a way to extract the
26 entire portage tree as it was at a point in time. This too will be
27 problematic.
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com