From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:40:44
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:01 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > OK. I took a nap and it seems everyone on the list wanted to chime in.
5 > lol This is one reason I posted here. I knew I would get at least a
6 > few replies. Just picking one to reply to so not pointing at Alan here.
7 >
8 > First, the drive is not full. It has about 30% or so left. I think the
9 > virus broke something and I don't have the OS media to reinstall. If I
10 > had my way, that puter would have Linux and a root password that only I
11 > know.
12 >
13 > Second, it has not been kept up to date for sure. They are little kids,
14 > oldest is getting about old enough to understand how to maintain things
15 > tho.
16 >
17 > Third, I'm not going to go to to much trouble with this thing and trying
18 > to get it back to shiny new. If it doesn't work to their liking, I'll
19 > tell them to get a CD/DVD with the install on it or I can put Linux on
20 > it for free. Let them decide.
21 >
22 > One post mentioned that this needs to be reinstalled, I AGREE.
25 Same here. I find this approach workable:
26
27 Tell them the machine needs an OS re-install. They can pick
28
29 Windows - which they will pay for
30 Linux - it's free
31
32 Either way they will lose their data. Give them that choice and let them
33 decide for themselves.
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com