From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Local mail server
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 19:53:26
1 On 01/08/2020 19:52, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 7/31/20 2:01 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> There may be half way decent ISPs in the US, but I haven't seen one in
4 >> over 20 years since the last one I was aware of stopped dealing with
5 >> residential customers.  They were a victem of the "race to the bottom"
6 >> when not enough residential customers were willing to pay $10 per
7 >> month over what Comcast or US-West was charging for half-assed,
8 >> crippled internet access).
9 >
10 > I think there is probably a good correlation between size and desire to
11 > be good and provide service.
12 >
13 > I've found that smaller ISPs (who actually try as opposed to cheating
14 > people) tend to be better.  Sadly, many of these Mom & Pop type ISPs
15 > were consumed during the aptly described race to the bottom.
16 >
17 > :-(
18 >
19 > I still do consulting work with a small M&P ISP in my home town and I
20 > have a small municipal ISP where I am now.  Both are quite good in many
21 > regards.  Unfortunately, neither of them offer IPv6.
22 >
23 That's one of the good things about the UK scene. In theory, and mostly
24 in practice, the infrastructure (ie copper, fibre) is provided by a
25 company which is not allowed to provide the service over it, so a
26 mom-n-pop ISP can supposedly rent the link just as easily as a big ISP.
27
28 When we move I'll almost certainly move to Andrews and Arnold, who are
29 exactly that mom-n-pop setup that are run by a bunch of engineers, as
30 opposed to accountants.
31
32 Cheers,
33 Wol