From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 23:39:04
1 Adam Carter wrote:
2 >
3 > I have to confess, I set most of this as defaults in make.conf.  The
4 > most often commands I use, eix-sync and emerge -uaDN world.
5 > Everything
6 > else is in make.conf.  Listy for those who may be curious.
7 >
8 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going
9 > -v -j5
10 > --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
11 >
12 > FEATURES="-usersync userpriv usersandbox buildpkg sandbox
13 > parallel-fetch"
14 >
15 > Each of those were added as I noticed I needed them more often than
16 > not.  The backtrack option started out at 50 but sometimes that wasn't
17 > enough so I increased it to 100.  That has worked well so far.  The
18 > --oneshot, (-1), option was to keep unneeded things from being
19 > added to
20 > my world file.  Each option has some reason for being there.
23 > Won't the -1 mean that --depclean will remove packages that you want?
26 If I emerge something and want to keep around, I use the --select y
27 option which overrides the -1 option in make.conf.  Sometimes I install
28 something, play with it and don't like it and then let --depclean remove
29 it.  If I emerge something and like it, I can use --select y -n to add
30 it to world, without compiling it again.
31
32 The key thing, remembering to force it to be added to world, which is a
33 lot easier than remembering to use -1 for ALL those things I don't want
34 in the world file.  Before I added the -1 option, my world file was full
35 of all sorts of things that have no business being there at all.  It was
36 causing huge problems with upgrades and such.
37
38 I just use what works for me.  Some may not like doing it this way but
39 some might.
40
41 Dale
42