From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge and binary packages
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 14:53:02
1 On 07/01/18 20:55, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 >
3 > I ought to disclose that the server is Debian. But the distcc versions
4 > on both sides were the same, and I hand-compiled a matching gcc version
5 > on the server.
6 >
7 > One thing I very much dislike about distcc is that there seems to be no
8 > good way of using a full path to the compiler on the server that's
9 > different from the one on the client.
12 I think that's probably the cause of the problem you've been having. I'm
13 no distcc expert by any means but you need to have binutils/libtool/gcc
14 identical across all machines, and in the case of different distros it
15 means hand compiling these on every machine, not just one - distros tend
16 to include their own fixes.
17
18 I found this article:
19
20 http://rostedt.homelinux.com/distcc/
21
22 which details some of these problems, but in that example they were also
23 compiling x32 and x64.
24
25 I've never had a problem with distcc in my all-Gentoo environment, other
26 than some random packages that don't like distcc.
27
28 I was actually reading about pump mode and considering trying that on my
29 Celerons.
30
31 Dan