From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 07:31:24
1 On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:43:27 +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
2
3 > > Yes, it would be. The first way, portage just scans the list of files
4 > > and tries to delete what isn't there; the second way it actually has
5 > > to delete real files.
6 > >
7 > I doubt that's the problem. After all, rm has to delete the files too.
8 >
9 > I guess portage scans the files and looks up whether it can delete them
10 > or not. If you've deleted them already, that step no longer happens ...
11
12 That's what I thought, it has to check whether each file has been
13 modified before deleting it, then it deletes that one file. rm just
14 chucks the whole lot in the bin.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.