From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 04:43:37
1 On 05/10/2021 00:44, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 00:11:42 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >> When I checked it in the past
5 >>
6 >> rm -fr /usr/src/linux-version
7 >> emerge -C gentoo-sources-version
8 >>
9 >> was significantly faster than
10 >>
11 >> emerge -C gentoo-sources-version
12 >> rm -fr /usr/src/linux-version
13 >
14 > Yes, it would be. The first way, portage just scans the list of files and tries
15 > to delete what isn't there; the second way it actually has to delete real
16 > files.
17 >
18 I doubt that's the problem. After all, rm has to delete the files too.
19
20 I guess portage scans the files and looks up whether it can delete them
21 or not. If you've deleted them already, that step no longer happens ...
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol