From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers not seeing symbol font
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:39:26
1 On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> After a bit of Googling, it seems the accepted solution is to use HTML
5 >> entities for those symbols and not try to use the raw characters as
6 >> you are attempting to do.
7 >>
8 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references
9 >>
10 >> Does that contain all of the symbols you need? If there are any
11 >> others, you should be able to use the unicode versions.
12 >
13 > Sigh. My stuff is not for a mass audience. I can expect them to
14 > install a font,
15 > and I'd really not like to be fooling with entities that much -- composition is
16 > laborious. It's really annoying to me to have a font on my own system that
17 > is inacessable through browser features that were apparently designed to
18 > allow just that.
19
20 I just tested it locally (on a Windows XP machine). Using this HTML syntax:
21
22 <span style="font-family:Symbol">The quick brown fox</span>
23
24 It shows up the way you want when using Internet Explorer, Chrome and
25 Konqueror, but not in Firefox, Opera, Safari or Seamonkey.
26
27 Based on everything I can find on Google, it seems like using a font
28 in the way you'd like just doesn't work most of the time. From what I
29 understand, it is because the web long ago moved to Unicode; the
30 browser is "smart" enough to know that you don't /really/ want to use
31 the Symbol font (even though you tell it you want to use it). In other
32 words, the Symbol font knows what those glyphs actually represent, and
33 the browser is doing the "right" thing by showing the latin text "the
34 quick brown fox" rather than turning it into Symbols that do not
35 represent the letters in "the quick brown fox".
36
37 > And Unicode is a complete mystery to me. I see stuff come in and display
38 > as it should, but as an author it's just something I've never used. How do
39 > you compose such stuff on a standard US-English keyboard and system?
40
41 What editor do you use? What format is your main document? I'm
42 assuming HTML is not the primary format. You could also perhaps export
43 to PDF instead of HTML.
44
45 Typically your editor would be Unicode compliant and would either
46 allow you to insert characters via some kind of character map
47 application, or use some kind of a keyboard shortcut to type the
48 unicode number of the glyph you're trying to insert. For example, in
49 Microsoft Word you can type the 4 digit unicode hex ID and then press
50 Alt-X and it'll replace it with the actual Unicode character.
51
52 To bring it back around to the topic of Gentoo, I think if you are
53 using a 2007.0 profile or newer then Unicode support is enabled by
54 default.
55
56 As far as using Unicode in HTML, it's not much different from using
57 the named entities -- you can use numbered unicode entities as well.
58 For example: & #xAFE2; (no space between the ampersand and the # -- i
59 put it there in case your e-mail client tried to interpret it).
60 However, if you are using a unicode encoding then you won't need to
61 use the entities, you can just have the raw Unicode characters in your
62 file.
63
64 The following website has all(?) of the Unicode glyphs and their HTML
65 equivalents, as well as showing you how they render in your web
66 browser: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/code/charsets/auto.html
67
68 > I'll do what I have to do, but only when I'm convinced it's the best
69 > alternative.
70
71 Good luck :)
72