From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:34:42
1 On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:49:53 -0600
2 Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 05:10:43PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > >
6 > > That was the original reason for having / and /usr separate, and it
7 > > dates back to the early 70s. The other reason that stems from that
8 > > time period is the size of disks we had back then - they were tiny
9 > > and often a minimal / was all that could really fit on the primary
10 > > system drive.
11 > >
12 > > Gradually over time this setup became the norm and people started to
13 > > depend on it, and more importantly, started to believe it was
14 > > important to retain it. It's their right to believe that.
15 > >
16 > > Recently I decided to measure if I still needed a separate /usr (I
17 > > was a long time advocate of retaining it). I'm in the lucky
18 > > position of having ~200 Linux machines, all distinctly different,
19 > > at my disposal, so I trawled through memory and incident logs
20 > > looking for cases where a separate /usr was crucial to recovery
21 > > after any form of error. To my surprise, I found none at all and
22 > > those logs go back 5 years.
23 > >
24 > > So I got to change my mind (not something I do very often I admit)
25 > > and concluded that separate base and user systems (/ and /usr) was
26 > > no longer something I needed to do - the "system" - disks, hardware
27 > > and the software on the disks - was very reliable, and what I
28 > > really needed was ability to boot from USB rescue disks. I did
29 > > find, not unsurprisingly, that I also really needed /usr/local on a
30 > > separate partition but that's because of how we install our
31 > > in-house software here, plus our backup policies.
32 > >
33 > > It also goes without saying that these days we
34 > > need /home, /var, /var/log and /tmp to all be on their own
35 > > filesystem, and we need that more than ever.
36 > >
37 > > I thought I should just toss that in the ring for people who are
38 > > undecided where they stand on the debate of separate / vs /usr. It's
39 > > what I found on our production, dev and staging servers, plus a
40 > > whole lot of people's personal workstations (sysadmins and devs).
41 > > The environment is a large corporate ISP that defies
42 > > categorization, we almost have at least one of every imaginable
43 > > use-case for running on Linux except something in the Top 100
44 > > SuperComputer list. I reckon it's about as representative as I'm
45 > > ever gonna see.
46 > >
47 > > People are free to draw their own conclusions as always, and real
48 > > data is valuable in arriving at those conclusions. YMMV.
49 >
50 > Thanks for sharing your experience, and not just your emotions. One
51 > of my favorite quotes is, "A man with an experience is not subject to
52 > a man with an argument."
53
54 There's a few things I completely left out - /usr/portage
55 and /usr/distfiles - I forgot all about those.
56
57 For years now I manually move those to /var as I consider /usr to
58 be mostly read-only, plus the portage tree and distfiles are hungry.
59 They form two cases where separate mounts are highly desirable.
60
61 The other thing I didn't comment on is /usr mounted ro over NFS. The
62 only current valid case I've heard of is school and university labs,
63 and one of those is the only one I've ever seen. Not something I ever
64 work with to be honest. I would like to know how prevalent /usr as an
65 NFS mount is in the world out there.
69 Alan McKinnon
70 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com