From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:52:04
1 On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 05:10:43PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > That was the original reason for having / and /usr separate, and it
4 > dates back to the early 70s. The other reason that stems from that time
5 > period is the size of disks we had back then - they were tiny and often
6 > a minimal / was all that could really fit on the primary system drive.
7 >
8 > Gradually over time this setup became the norm and people started to
9 > depend on it, and more importantly, started to believe it was important
10 > to retain it. It's their right to believe that.
11 >
12 > Recently I decided to measure if I still needed a separate /usr (I was
13 > a long time advocate of retaining it). I'm in the lucky position of
14 > having ~200 Linux machines, all distinctly different, at my disposal,
15 > so I trawled through memory and incident logs looking for cases where a
16 > separate /usr was crucial to recovery after any form of error. To my
17 > surprise, I found none at all and those logs go back 5 years.
18 >
19 > So I got to change my mind (not something I do very often I admit) and
20 > concluded that separate base and user systems (/ and /usr) was no
21 > longer something I needed to do - the "system" - disks, hardware and
22 > the software on the disks - was very reliable, and what I really needed
23 > was ability to boot from USB rescue disks. I did find, not
24 > unsurprisingly, that I also really needed /usr/local on a separate
25 > partition but that's because of how we install our in-house software
26 > here, plus our backup policies.
27 >
28 > It also goes without saying that these days we
29 > need /home, /var, /var/log and /tmp to all be on their own filesystem,
30 > and we need that more than ever.
31 >
32 > I thought I should just toss that in the ring for people who are
33 > undecided where they stand on the debate of separate / vs /usr. It's
34 > what I found on our production, dev and staging servers, plus a whole
35 > lot of people's personal workstations (sysadmins and devs). The
36 > environment is a large corporate ISP that defies categorization, we
37 > almost have at least one of every imaginable use-case for running on
38 > Linux except something in the Top 100 SuperComputer list. I reckon it's
39 > about as representative as I'm ever gonna see.
40 >
41 > People are free to draw their own conclusions as always, and real data
42 > is valuable in arriving at those conclusions. YMMV.
43
44 Thanks for sharing your experience, and not just your emotions. One of my
45 favorite quotes is, "A man with an experience is not subject to a man with an
46 argument."
47 --
48 Happy Penguin Computers >')
49 126 Fenco Drive ( \