From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:31:55
1 On 2012-12-16, Bruce Hill wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 05:10:43PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>
5 >> That was the original reason for having / and /usr separate, and it
6 >> dates back to the early 70s. The other reason that stems from that time
7 >> period is the size of disks we had back then - they were tiny and often
8 >> a minimal / was all that could really fit on the primary system drive.
9 >>
10 >> Gradually over time this setup became the norm and people started to
11 >> depend on it, and more importantly, started to believe it was important
12 >> to retain it. It's their right to believe that.
13 >>
14 >> Recently I decided to measure if I still needed a separate /usr (I was
15 >> a long time advocate of retaining it). I'm in the lucky position of
16 >> having ~200 Linux machines, all distinctly different, at my disposal,
17 >> so I trawled through memory and incident logs looking for cases where a
18 >> separate /usr was crucial to recovery after any form of error. To my
19 >> surprise, I found none at all and those logs go back 5 years.
20 >>
21 >> So I got to change my mind (not something I do very often I admit) and
22 >> concluded that separate base and user systems (/ and /usr) was no
23 >> longer something I needed to do - the "system" - disks, hardware and
24 >> the software on the disks - was very reliable, and what I really needed
25 >> was ability to boot from USB rescue disks. I did find, not
26 >> unsurprisingly, that I also really needed /usr/local on a separate
27 >> partition but that's because of how we install our in-house software
28 >> here, plus our backup policies.
29 >>
30 >> It also goes without saying that these days we
31 >> need /home, /var, /var/log and /tmp to all be on their own filesystem,
32 >> and we need that more than ever.
33 >>
34 >> I thought I should just toss that in the ring for people who are
35 >> undecided where they stand on the debate of separate / vs /usr. It's
36 >> what I found on our production, dev and staging servers, plus a whole
37 >> lot of people's personal workstations (sysadmins and devs). The
38 >> environment is a large corporate ISP that defies categorization, we
39 >> almost have at least one of every imaginable use-case for running on
40 >> Linux except something in the Top 100 SuperComputer list. I reckon it's
41 >> about as representative as I'm ever gonna see.
42 >>
43 >> People are free to draw their own conclusions as always, and real data
44 >> is valuable in arriving at those conclusions. YMMV.
45 >
46 > Thanks for sharing your experience, and not just your emotions. One of my
47 > favorite quotes is, "A man with an experience is not subject to a man with an
48 > argument."
49
50 My thanks, too! There's nothing like reading on some actual experience
51 with this. So this was once the reason to keep / separate. Not that
52 important anymore (but this is still no excuse to force people to keep
53 /usr in the same filesystem).
56 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
57 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/